Launcells, Cornwall

Historical Description

Launcells, a parish in Cornwall, 1½ mile SE of Stratton, 2¼ miles W of the river Tamar at the boundary with Devon, and 7 from Holsworthy station on the L. & S.W.R. It contains also the hamlets of Prestacott, Grimscott, Bntspur, Cross, and Hersham. Post town, Stratton. Acreage, 6165; population, 547. A priory, a cell to Hartland Abbey, stood in the parish; gave rise to the name of Launcells, a corruption of Llancell, and was given at the dissolution to the Chamonds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; value, £150 with residence. The church is ancient, has a pinnacled tower, and contains an altar-tomb of Sir John Chamond. There are Bible Christian and Wesleyan chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Cornwall
Ecclesiastical parish Launcells St. Andrew
Hundred Stratton
Poor Law union Stratton

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Launcells 1642-1812, Cornwall is available to browse online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Launcells from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Launcells are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

CountyCornwall
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtEX23
Post TownBude