Lanreath, a parish in Cornwall, on an affluent of the river Fowey, 5½ miles ESE of Lostwithiel station on the G.W.R., and 10 SW of Liskeard. It has a post office under Duloe; money order office, Duloe; telegraph office, Polperro; and has fairs on the third week after Shrove-Tuesday, 2 May, and 18 Nov. Acreage, 4964; population of the civil parish, 524; of the ecclesiastical, 460. The manor of Court Barton formerly belonged to the Grylls and others, but is now the property of the Carlyon family. A Roman causeway and an ancient camp are on Bury Down, and there are several barrows. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; value, £350 with residence. The church contains a carved screen and a Norman font, and is very old. There is a Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Lanreath St. Marnarch|
|Poor Law union||Liskeard|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Lanreath from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Lanreath (St. Marnarch))
Online maps of Lanreath are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.