Landrake, Cornwall

Historical Description

Landrake, a village and a parish in Cornwall. The village. is 1 mile distant from the river Lynher, 3g- miles NE of St Germans station on the G.W.R., and has a post office under St Germans; money order office, Tideford; telegraph office, Hatt. The parish is a united one, and bears the name of Landrake-with-St-Erny. Acreage, 3596 of land, and 168 of water and foreshore; population, 686. The manor belongs to the Earl of Mount Edgcumbe. The living is a double vicarage in the diocese of Truro; net value, £220 with residence. Patron, the Earl of Mount Edgecumbe. The church is ancient but good; has a lofty turreted tower, and contains a monument to the Courtney family. The ancient parish church St Erny, with low square tower, 1 mile distant, is consolidated with Landrake. There are also Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels, an endowed school, and five almshouses for women.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Cornwall
Ecclesiastical parish Landrake St. Peter
Hundred East
Poor Law union St. Germans

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Landrake from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Landrake are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

CountyCornwall
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtPL12
Post TownSaltash