Hessenford, a village and an ecclesiastical district in St Germans parish, Cornwall. The village stands in a deep-wooded bottom, on the river Seaton, 4 miles W of St Germans station on the G.W.R., and has a post office under St Germans; money order and telegraph office, St Germans. The district was constituted in 1852. Population, 948. The land extends to the coast, and many of the inhabitants are fishermen. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; value, £280 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1871, and is in the Early English style. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
Online maps of Hessenford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.