Helland, a village and a parish in Cornwall. The village stands on the river Camel, 3 miles from Bodmin station on the G.W.R. It was known at Domesday as Henland, and in Camden's " Britannia," 1695, in the map of Cornwall it is marked as Helolan. There is a post office under Bodmin; money order and telegraph office, Bodmin. Acreage, 2493; population, 199. Brodes was the seat of the Glynn family, and the birthplace of Dr R. Glynn Clobury, physician and poet. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; value, £130 with residence. The church is ancient, and contains an old monument to a Calwodley. It was restored in 1888. There is a Wesleyan chapel, and some ancient earthworks in the parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Helland St. Helena|
|Poor Law union||Bodmin|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Helland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Helland (St. Helena))
Online maps of Helland are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.