Hayle, a small seaport and ecclesiastical parish in Sfr Erith and Phillack parishes, Cornwall, on the river Hayle, with a station on the G.W.R., 319 miles from London, and 4 SE of St Ives. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office. There is a causeway across the river 1140 feet long. The harbour is below the causeway, has commodious wharfs, and canals with flood-gates, can be entered at spring tides by vessels of 400 tons burden, and has two fixed lights. A coasting trade is carried on. The smelting of copper was formerly done on a large scale, and there are steam-engine works, iron and brass foundries, a shipbuilding yard, and two large flour mills. The church of St Elwyn was erected in 1886-88, and is a stone building in the Early English style. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Trnro; value, £195. There are Wesleyan, Methodist, and Bible Christian chapels, two good hotels, and a literary institution. Population of the ecclesiastical parish of St Elwyn, 1673.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Penzance|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Hayle from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Hayle and Copper-House)
Online maps of Hayle are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.