Gwithian, Cornwall

Historical Description

Gwithian, a village, a parish, and a stream in Cornwall. The village stands near the mouth of the stream, at the E side of St Ives Bay, 2½ miles N by W of Gwinear Road station on the G.W.R., and 3½ NE of Hayle, and has been so exposed to accumulations of drift sands as to have been in risk of destruction by them, and to have required an extensive planting of the Arundo arenaria to stop them. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Hayle. Acreage of parish, 2420; population, 649. Copper ore at one time was worked more extensively than now. Building stone, and a peculiar kind of freestone, suitable for chimneys, are quarried. There are extensive ancient earthworks called Tre-varian Rounds. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Phillack, in the diocese of Truro; value, £140 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1866. Remains of an ancient, small, very rude chapel, a baptistery, and a graveyard were discovered by digging into the sand in the vicinity of the church. There is a Wesleyan chapel. The stream rises between Redruth and Cambome, and runs westward, about 6½ miles, to St Ives Bay.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Cornwall
Ecclesiastical parish Gwithian St. Gothian
Hundred Penwith
Poor Law union Redruth

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Gwithian from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Gwithian are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

CountyCornwall
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtTR27
Post TownHayle