Gunwalloe, a parish in Cornwall, on the coast, 5 miles S of Helston station on the G.W.R. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Helston. Acreage, 1469; population, 176. Fishing is carried on. The living is a vicarage, Cnry with Gunwalloe, in the diocese of Truro; gross value, £120 with residence. The church is ancient but good, has a detached belfry, and was at one time much silted up with shore sands. There are two small Wesleyan and Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Gunwalloe St. Wynwallow|
|Poor Law union||Helston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Gunwalloe from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Gunwalloe (St. Wynwallow))
Online maps of Gunwalloe are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.