Grade, a parish in Cornwall, on the coast, near the Lizard, 9¼ miles SSE of Helston station on the G.W.R., and 14½ SSW of Falmouth. Post town, Ruan Minor (R.S.O.) Acreage, 1959; population of the civil parish, 293; of the ecclesiastical, 552. The living is a rectory, united with the rectory of Ruan Minor, in the diocese of Truro; net value, £250 with residence. The church contains brasses and monuments of the Eriseys, and is in good repair.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Grade Holy Cross|
|Poor Law union||Helston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Grade from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Grade (Holy Cross))
Online maps of Grade are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.