Gorran (St Goran), two villages and a parish in Cornwall. The villages stand 2 miles N of Dodman Point, 2 S of Mevagissey, and 8 S of St Austell station on the G.W.R. One of them is on the coast, at the entrance of Mevagissey Bay, bears the name of Gorran Haven or Port East, is a coastguard station, has a very old pier, and is supposed to have been anciently a place of some consequence. The parish includes also the hamlets of Rescassa, Tregavarras, Pennare, Treveor, Menegwins, and Trevarrick. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under St Austell. Acreage, 4961; population, 928. The manor belonged to the Bodrugans, had a mansion, called Bodrugan Castle, long ago destroyed, and passed to Lord Mount-Edgecumbe. Sir Henry Bodrugan was attainted for treason at the accession of Henry VII., and being in danger of capture, he fled to a vessel by a tremendous leap over a cliff, at a spot which is still called Bodrugan's Leap. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro, with Gorran Haven annexed; joint value, £220 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Truro. The church stands on an eminence, and has a pinnacled tower of 1606. Chapels anciently stood at Gorran Haven, Bodrugan, and Galowras. There are Wesleyan and Bible Christian chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Gorran St. Gorran|
|Poor Law union||St. Austell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1661; marriages, 1668.
Church of England
St. Goran (parish church)
The church of St. Goran, erected in the 16th century, is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel and nave, unitedly of eight bays, south aisle extending along both, north transept, south porch and a lofty embattled western tower, 110 feet in height, with four pinnacles, built in 1606, and containing 6 bells, all cast in 1772, and renovated in 1896 at a cost of £150: there are two piscinæ: the nave and aisle retain some good benches with well-carved ends, many of them bearing initials: there is an ancient monument in the nave to Richard Edgcumbe esq. of Bodrugan, ob. 1655, and the granite font bears the arms of Bodrugan; a brass to William Algernon Slade-Gully M.A. d. 1870, with other modern memorials; some once existing here to the Trevanions have now disappeared: there are two stained windows and some fragments of old glass in the aisle: in the chancel stands a curious oak chair, elaborately carved at the back with the figure of a woman (probably St. Eva of St. Ewe) and various emblems: the tower is a well-known sea-mark and a conspicuous object for many miles round: a new roof was erected in 1870, from designs by J. P. St. Aubyn esq. and in 1874-5 the body of the church was restored by the same architect at a cost of £1,154: there are 365 sittings.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Gorran from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Gorran (St. Gorran))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.