Godrevy, an island on the N side of St Ives Bay, in Cornwall. A vessel was wrecked on it with a loss of about 60 lives in 1649, and the Nile iron screw-steamer of 700-tons foundered with a loss of all on board by striking on a reef connected with the island in December 1854. That reef is called the Stones, and extends fully a mile from the island seaward. A lighthouse to warn mariners of the reef was erected on the island in 1859, and shows a flashing white light at a height of 120 feet above high-water level, visible at 17 miles, and a fixed red light, 93 feet above high water, visible at 15 miles. A fog-bell also sounds one stroke every five seconds during thick or foggy weather.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.