Godolphin, a hamlet and a chapelry in Breage parish, Cornwall. The hamlet is 2 miles from Nancegollan station on the G.W.R., and 4½ NW by W of Helston, and was anciently called Godolcan. Post town, Helston. The chapelry was constituted in 1846. The land is interesting for hills, fine views, and wealth of minerals. [See BREAGE.] Godolphin House was built in the time of Elizabeth by Sir Francis Godolphin, belonged to the Godolphin family till they became extinct in 1785, is a quadrangular edifice of granite with a handsome portico, belongs now to the Duke of Leeds, and is occupied as a farmhouse, and marred by the vicinity of mining works. The manor was held by the Godolphins from the Conquest, and passed by marriage of the youngest daughter of the last of them to the Duke of Leeds. Sir Sidney Godolphin was created by Charles II. Baron Godolphin, and by Queen Anne Earl Godolphin. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro, and the annual value is £145 with residence. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1851.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Helston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Godolphin from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.