Forrabury or Fotherbury, Cornwall
Forrabury or Fotherbury, a parish in Cornwall, on the coast, 5 miles NNW of Camelford, and 20 N of Bodmin Road station on the G.W.R., 4 miles N of Camelford station on the S.W.R., opened in 1893. It includes part of the town of Boscastle, which has a post office (R.S.O.) Acreage, 539; population, 310. Slaty anthracite, dark shale, and manganese occur. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; value, £82. The church stands above Boscastle, adjacent to the lofty headland of Willapark; is dedicated to St Simphorian, who is traditionally said to have been buried in it; has a tower, and is in good condition. Outside it is an ancient granite cross on a limestone pedestal. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Forrabury St. Simphorian|
|Poor Law union||Camelford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Forrabury or Fotherbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Forrabury (St. Simphorian))
Online maps of Forrabury or Fotherbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.