Flushing, a village and an ecclesiastical parish in Cornwall. The village stands on the Falmouth branch of Falmouth harbour, opposite Falmouth town, and 2 miles from Penryn station on the G.W.R., with a post, money order, and telegraph office under Falmouth. Population of parish, 983. It is reputed to be the warmest place in Cornwall, serves as a sub-port to Falmouth, and was founded by the Trefusis family. Oyster-fishing is carried on. The parish was separated from Mylor in 1841. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; value, £170. The church is a small building; was restored in 1871, and improved in 1893. There are three dissenting chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Falmouth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Flushing from the following:
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.