Egloskerry, a parish in Cornwall, on an affluent of the river Tamar, 4½ miles WNW of Launceston on the G.W.R., and 16 N of Liskeard. There is a station of the North Cornwall railway. It has a post and money order office (R.S.O.); telegraph office at the station. Acreage, 3262; population of the civil parish, 470; of the ecclesiastical, with Tremaine, 580. Penheale was the seat of the Speccots, and is now held by the Simcoe family. Blue felspar and manganese occur. The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of Tremaine, in the diocese of Truro; net value, £130 with residence. The church is ancient and interesting, and has a tower; it was restored in 1887.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Egloskerry St. Corantinus|
|Poor Law union||Launceston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
We have transcribed the following census returns for Egloskerry:
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Egloskerry 1574-1812, Cornwall is available to browse online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Egloskerry from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Egloskerry (St. Corantinus))
Online maps of Egloskerry are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.