Egloshayle, Cornwall

Historical Description

Egloshayle, a village and a parish in Cornwall. The village stands on the river Camel, three-quarters of a mile SE of Wadebridge station on the G.W.R., and 7 miles NW of Bodmin. The parish comprises 5682 acres; population., 1368. Post town, and money order and telegraph office, Wadebridge. Pencarrow has remains of a castle and an ancient camp. It belongs to the Ford-Molesworth family. Park belonged to the Peverells. Ancient barrows occur at Kelly Rounds. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; net value, £298 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Truro. The church has a tower and a curious stone pulpit, and is good. There are Wesleyan and United Free Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Cornwall
Hundred Trigg
Poor Law union Bodmin

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Egloshayle from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Egloshayle are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

CountyCornwall
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtPL27
Post TownWadebridge