East and West Bridgerule, Cornwall
Bridgerule, East and West, a parish and two townships in Devonshire, on the river Tamar and the Bude Canal, 4½ miles E by S of Holsworthy station on the L. & S.W.R. There is a post office under Holsworthy, which is the telegraph office; money order office, Whitestone. Acreage of East Bridgerule, 1618; of West, 1016; population of East Bridgerule, 119; of West, 248; and of the ecclesiastical parish of Bridgerule (St Bridget), 395. A part comprising 1010 acres is on the right side of the Tamar, and was formerly in Cornwall. The manor was given by William the Conqueror to Reginald Adobed, abbreviatedly Ruald or Rule Adobed, and it is named jointly from him and from a bridge over the Tamar. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter; net value, £212 with residence. The church is variously Early English and debased; it was well restored in 1878, and has a good porch. In 1890 it was greatly improved by the addition of a fine organ, carved oak choir seats, and a rood-screen of a handsome Gothic design-the lower part of which is filled with paintings of the twelve apostles after the statues of the same in Amiens Cathedral in 13th century style. The north transept is screened off and beautifully fitted as a lady chapel. There are Bible Christian and Wesleyan chapels.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.