Davidstow, Cornwall

Historical Description

Davidstow (popularly Dewstow), a parish in Cornwall, 4 miles NE by N of Camelford, and 12 W by N of Launces-ton station on the L. & S.W.R. and G.W.R. Post town, Camelford. Acreage, 6853; population, 393. The surface is very bleak, and a great moor of it extends to Bowtor and Brown Willy. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; value, £183. Patron, the Prince of Wales. The church is interesting. There are Bible Christian and Methodist chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Cornwall
Ecclesiastical parish Davidstow St. David
Hundred Lesnewth
Poor Law union Camelford

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Davidstow from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Davidstow are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

CountyCornwall
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtPL32
Post TownCamelford