Cuby, a parish in Cornwall, including part of Tregony town, 3 miles S of Grampound Road station on the G.W.R Post town and telegraph office, Tregony. Acreage, 2316; population, 141. The manor belonged to the Pomeroys, and some vestiges of a castle of theirs, of the time of Richard I., are in Tregony. The rocks include mica slate, and there is a carved holy well. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the rectory of Tregony, in the diocese of Truro; joint net value, £'270. The church is ancient, and built in one of the corners is a curious monumental stone, called the l; Cuby Stone," bearing the names of three Romanized Britons-viz. Nonnita, Ercilius, and Virigatus. It is supposed to date from 300.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cuby St. Keby|
|Poor Law union||Truro|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Church of England
St. Cubey (parish church)
The church of St. Cubey, built in 1267, and rebuilt, with the exception of the tower, in 1828, stands to the north of Tregony and has been used by the inhabitants of that place since the destruction of their own church; it is a building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of nave, north transept, south porch and an embattled western tower, with four pinnacles, containing one bell, dated 1787; there is a memorial tablet to Hugh Pomeroy esq. 1614, besides various others of modern date; built into the south-west corner of the church is a famous monumental stone of the third or fourth century called "The Cubey Stone," bearing the names of three Romanized Britons, viz.: "Nonnita," "Ercilius," and "Virigatus"; there is an ancient and interesting font, and an ancient carved pulpit; the church was completely restored in 1899 at a cost of £1,500: there are about 200 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cuby from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Cuby (St. Keby))
Online maps of Cuby are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.