Crantock, a parish in Cornwall, on the coast, at the mouth of the river Gannel, 9 miles WSW of St Columb-Major, and 2 from Newquay station on a branch of the G.W.R. Post town, Grampound Road; money order and telegraph office, Newquay. Acreage, 2552, of which 95 are water; population, 321. Treago and Tregonell were old seats of respectively the Mynorses and the Tregonells. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; value, £71 with residence. Patron, Lord Churston. The church belonged to a college, founded here by the Bishops of Bodmin before the Conquest, and is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Crantock St. Cadock|
|Poor Law union||St. Columb Major|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Crantock from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Crantock (St. Cadock))
Online maps of Crantock are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.