Cornelly, a parish in Cornwall, 1½ mile WNW of Tregony, and 2½ miles SSW of Grampound Road station on the G.W.R. Post town, Tregony, under Grampound; telegraph office, Grampound Road. Acreage, 1368; population. 84. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; value, £3y. Patron, the Vicar of Probus. The church is good.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cornelly St. Cornelius|
|Poor Law union||Truro|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Cornelly 1679-1812, Cornwall is available to browse online.
Church of England
St Cornelly or St Cornelius (parish church)
The church of St. Cornelius is a building of stone, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave of two bays, north aisle, south porch and a low embattled western tower, containing one bell: the chancel was rebuilt in October, 1886, and the remainder of the church, including the tower, was thoroughly restored in 1900, at a cost of over £700.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cornelly from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Cornelly (St. Cornelius))
Online maps of Cornelly are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.