Colan, Cornwall

Historical Description

Colan, a parish in Cornwall, 3 miles from St Columb station on the G.W.R., 4 from St Columb Major, and 4½ from Newquay. Post town, St Columb; money order and telegraph office, St Columb Minor. Acreage, 2049; population, 222. Cosworth was the seat of the Blewitts. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; value, £106 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Truro. The church was founded in 1250 by Bishop Branscombe, and is interesting. It was restored in 1884. It has three bells and very fine painted windows. The ancient tower was entirely rebuilt in 1879. Each stone as it was taken down was numbered and placed back in its original position. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Cornwall
Ecclesiastical parish Colan St. Colan
Hundred Pyder
Poor Law union St. Columb Major

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Church Records

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at St Colan 1665-1812, Cornwall is available to browse online.


Civil Registration

For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Colan from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Colan are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

CountyCornwall
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtTR8
Post TownNewquay