Clether, St, a parish in Cornwall, on the river Inney, 7 miles E by N of Camelford, 9 W of Launceston station on the G.W.R., and 4 from Iresmeer station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, Launceston; money order and telegraph office, Camelford. Acreage, 2966; population, 197. The rocks include granite and hornblende. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; net value, £140 with residence. The church is good. Remains of a small chapel are over a spring, called " The Holy Well." There are Wes-leyan and Bible Christian chapels, and three ancient stone wayside crosses in the parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Clether St.|
|Poor Law union||Camelford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Clether from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Clether (St.))
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.