Charlestown (formerly called West Polmear), a small seaport about 1½ mile SE of St Austell, Cornwall. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under St Austell. Population, 2808. It was founded towards the close of last century by Charles Rashleigh, Esq., who lived at Duporth. There is a harbour and small dock, and an export trade in lime, china-clay, and other mineral produce is carried on. Charlestown was formed into an ecclesiastical district under the Peel Act in 1849. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; value, about £160. Patron, alternately the Bishop and the Crown. The church, dedicated to St Paul, is very pretty.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||St. Austell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Charlestown from the following:
Online maps of Charlestown are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.