Cawsand, Cornwall

Historical Description

Cawsand, a village on the coast of Cornwall, on a small bay of its own name, on the west side of Plymouth sound, opposite the Breakwater, 4 miles SW of Plymouth. The bay has an anchorage for the largest ships, is well sheltered, and was used as ths chief anchorage of the sound prior to the construction of the breakwater. A wide military road has been constructed from Cawsand along the cliffs to Tregantle Fort. At one time it was a noted place for smuggling. It has a post and money order office under Plymouth; telegraph office, Millbrook.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Maps

Online maps of Cawsand are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

CountyCornwall
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtPL10
Post TownTorpoint