Budock or St Budock, a parish in Cornwall. It adjoins Falmouth on the SW, extends thence to Falmouth Bay, includes Pendennis Castle, and has ready communication with Falmouth railway station. Post town, Falmouth. Acreage, 3734; population of the civil parish, 2414; of the ecclesiastical, 1397. Granite abounds. A college was founded in 1270 at Glasenay by Bishop Bronescombe. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro. The church contains monuments of the Killigrews, and is good. It is the mother parish and church of Falmouth and Penwaris, and in the 13th century was the mother church of St Gluvias also. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Budock St. Budoke|
|Poor Law union||Falmouth|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Budock 1653-1812, Cornwall is available to browse online.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Budock from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Budock (St. Budoke))
Online maps of Budock are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.