Broadoak or Bradock, Cornwall
Broadoak or Bradock, a parish in Cornwall, 2 miles SSW of Doublebois station on the G.W.R., and 4 NE by E of Lostwithiel. It includes West Taphouse hamlet, and its post town and money order office is Lostwithiel; telegraph office, Doublebois station. Acreage, 3404; population, 285. The manor was held at Domesday by Robert, Earl of Mortaigne. Broadoak Down was the scene of the defeat in 1643 of the Parliamentarians under Ruthven by the Royalists under Hopton. The living is a rectory annexed to the rectory of Boconnoc in the diocese of Exeter. The church is good, and has an ancient font. It was restored in 1887, and a new organ was presented in the same year by Colonel C. D. Fortescue. There is a Wesleyan chapel at West Taphouse.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Broadoak or Bradock from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Broadoak (St. Mary))
Online maps of Broadoak or Bradock are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.