Boyton, Cornwall

Historical Description

Boyton, a parish chiefly in Cornwall and partly in Devon, on the river Tamar, 5 miles from Launceston station on the L. & S.W.R., and 17 NNW of Tavistock. It has a post office under Launceston, which is the money order office; telegraph office, Tower Hill railway station. Acreage, 4206; population of civil parish, 342; of ecclesiastical, 402. Bradridge, the old seat of the Hoblyns, and Beardon, also an old seat, are now farmhouses. Manganese mines were worked, but have long been discontinued. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Truro; net value, £150 with residence. The church is good, and has been restored. There are also Methodist Free Church and Bible Christian chapels.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient County Devon
Hundred Black Torrington
Poor Law union Launceston

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Boyton from the following:


Maps

Online maps of Boyton are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:


Visitations Heraldic

We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.

CountyCornwall
RegionSouth West
CountryEngland
Postal districtPL15
Post TownLaunceston