Blisland, a parish in Cornwall, on the border of the moors, 4 miles NNE of Bodmin, and 5½ N of Bodmin Road station on the G.W.R. and L. & S.W.R. It has a post office under Bodmin; telegraph office, St Breward; money order office, St Tudy (R.S.O.) Acreage, 6445; population, 510. Granite, schist, stream-tin, and other minerals are found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Truro; gross value, £495 with residence. The church has a fine brass of 1410, and is good. There is a Wesleyan chapel. A fair is held on the Monday after Sept. 11.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Blisland St. Pratt|
|Poor Law union||Bodmin|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Blisland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Blisland (St. Pratt))
Online maps of Blisland are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Cornwall papers online:
- Royal Cornwall Gazette
- West Briton and Cornwall Advertiser
- Lake's Falmouth Packet and Cornwall Advertiser
We have a copy of The Visitations of Cornwall, by Lieut.-Col. J.L. Vivian online.