Clewer, a village and a parish in Berks, on the river Thames, near the G.W.R., 1 mile W of Windsor. The parish consists of two divisions, one of which forms part of the town of Windsor, particulars of the other portion only being given here. The village is notable for the religious institutions which have grown up under the influence and care of the clergy of the Church of England here. Of these the most important is a House of Mercy, which was opened in 1849, and which has been subsequently enlarged, so that it now affords accommodation for over 130 penitents. The internal work is carried on by an association of ladies known as the Clewer Sisters, and they have also under their care a convalescent hospital, an orphanage, a home of rest, and alms-houses for twelve poor ladies. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Windsor. Area, 1976 acres of land and 58 of water; population, 9766. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford; net yearly value, £430 with residence. Patron, Eton College. The church is an ancient and very interesting building of flint and rubble chiefly in the Early Norman style. There are also chapels of ease dedicated to St Agnes, All Saints, and St John the Baptist. There are many important .mansions in this parish, among which may be mentioned St Leonard's Hill, a fine mansion of stone standing in a park of 200 acres, St Leonard's, Clewer Manor, and Clewer Park. Windsor racecourse is in this parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Clewer St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Windsor|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1650.
Church of England
St. Agnes, Spital
St. Agnes' church, at Spital, a chapel of ease to the parish church, is a structure of brick, consisting of chancel and nave, and will seat 150 persons.
St. Andrew (parish church)
The parish church of St. Andrew is a building of flint and rubble, chiefly in the Early Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and a western tower with broach shingled spire containing 6 bells: the nave and tower are Norman, but have Decorated and Perpendicular windows; in the church is a tablet to Field-Marshal William, 3rd Earl Harcourt G.C.B. who died June 17, 1830. In the lady chapel is a brass, with six verses to Martin Expence, who "shott with 100 men himselfe alone, at ould feild at Bray;" on the chancel floor is a brass to Lucy, daughter of Sir William Wray bart. and wife of John Hobson, gent. ob. 29 May 1657, and there are two modern brasses to Emma Charlotte, daughter of Admiral Sir Edward Codrington, d. May 13, 1863, and to Maria Elizabeth, her sister, d. March 18, 1865; and inscribed slabs to the wife and daughter of John Lovell, 1685-91, and to John Ewen, ob. December 12, 1694, and Elizabeth his wife, ob. December 9, 1694; there is a fine marble reredos and a handsome font; all the windows are stained; the church was restored in 1858, and in 1884 the spire and lady chapel were restored, at a cost of £600; there are about 370 sittings; the churchyard is remarkable for its quiet and secluded beauty and the care with which it is tended; within it rest the remains of not a few soldiers, and many of the immediate retainers of the Royal Household, among whom may be named the late Sir Thomas M. Biddulph K.C.B. keeper of the Privy Purse to Her late Majesty Queen Victoria, who died in 1878; in summer the whole ground is radiant with flowers, and is the resort of many passing pilgrims.
St. John the Baptist
The chapel of St. John the Baptist, opened in October, 1881, is a building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and aisles; the chancel is separated from the nave by a carved oak screen, with brass gates; the whole of the windows are stained.
There is a Congregational chapel here, with 50 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Clewer was in Windsor Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Clewer from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Clewer (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Berkshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Clewer are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Berkshire papers online:
Villages, Hamlets, &c
The Visitations of Berkshire 1532, 1566, and 1665-6 is available online.