St. Michael, Basingstoke, Hampshire
The church of St Michael is a building of stone in the perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, with clerestory, aisles, side chapel, south porch and an embattled western tower, with angle turrets containing eight bells: the nave was erected in the reign of Henry VIII. Under the direction of Fox, Bishop of Winchester, and is a good example of the architecture of that period: galleries have been erected on both sides of the church: there are seven stained windows and carved oak pulp it on the stone base, placed in memory of the Rt. Rev. Samuel Wilberforce D.D. Bishop of Winchester, 1869-73: A small library the gift of Sir George Wheler, Vicar here 1685-94, is deposited in the parvise above the south porch. In 1908 the organ was rebuilt and placed in the southwest gallery and the high oak pews shortened. There are 1,400 sittings.
The registers dates from year 1638.