UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. Mary, Basing, Hampshire


The church of St. Mary, originally Norman, is an ancient structure of flint and stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles extending to the whole length of the nave and Bolton chapel, and an eastern embattled tower with pinnacles, containing a clock and 2 bells: there is a font of the 15th century, tombs of the Paulet family, and among the monuments is one by Flaxman, to Henry, sixth Duke of Bolton, Admiral of the White, who died 24th December, 1794: in the Bolton chapel is a brass recording the names of members of that family who were interred in the vault from 1682 to 1863. The church was restored in 1874, under the direction of T. H. Wyatt esq. architect, at a cost of £2,800; some tiles of the 13th or 14th centuries were found during the process of the work in the flooring of the church, as well as fragments of Norman carving: the organ was provided in 1878, at a cost of £414: there are sittings for 600 persons.

Church Records

The register dates from the year 1655.

St. Mary

Denomination:Church of England