St. Mary, Andover, Hampshire
The church of St. Mary, erected at a cost of nearly £30,000, at the expense of the late Rev. William Stanley Goddard D.D. formerly head master of Winchester College, is in the Early English style, and was erected on the site of an older building: the church consists of chancel, nave of five bays, aisles, transepts, south porch and a western tower, with crocketed pinnacles, containing a clock and 8 bells: in the aisles are the remains of two curious tombs removed from the old church, with seated and kneeling effigies and the date 1611: there are several stained windows, two being memorials of the Goddard and Gale families: there are 850 sittings. At the entrance to the churchyard is a Norman door-way which originally belonged to the old church.
The register dates from the year 1580.