St. John the Baptist, Alresford or New Alresford, Hampshire
The church of St. John the Baptist is a building of stone and rubble, consisting of chancel with aisle, nave, aisles and an embattled western tower containing 8 bells, rehung in 1897, and a clock: the stained east window and the reredos of opus sectile work were presented in 1900 by H. H. Walford esq.; there is another stained window in a side chapel erected by Captain George Marx to his parents, and in this chapel is also a carved oak reredos erected by Mrs. Marx to her husband, Captain Marx. The church was successively Norman, Early English and Perpendicular and traces of these styles are still to be seen in the church as restored in 1898, under the direction of the late Sir A. W. Bromfield A.R.A. at a cost of upwards of £7,000: it affords 500 sittings.
The register dates from 1724 for baptisms, 1740 for marriages and 1698 for burials.