UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. Peter, Portland, Dorset

Description

The church of St. Peter's, in the GROVE, is a building of Portland stone in the Byzantine style, and erected at a cost of £8,000 ; the church, which was built entirely by convict labour, is cruciform in shape, and consists of apsidal chancel, nave, transepts, vestry and turret containing one bell: there is a porch at the west end, and another doorway in the north transept for the troops of the garrison to enter: there are 9 stained windows in the chancel, including one in memory of the first vicar, the Rev. Arthur Hill D.D.: there are over 600 sittings. The living was united with that of All Saints, Portland, by Order in Council, 1933.

Church Records

The register of St. Peter's dates from 1872. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).

St. Peter
Grove
Portland
Dorset

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Salisbury
Sittings:600
Graveyard:No