UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. Mary, Yelden, Bedfordshire


The church of St. Mary, an almost perfect example of a Decorated church, is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave of four bays, south aisle, south porch and a western tower with enriched cornice and low octagonal spire, containing a clock and 4 bells, restored in 1886 by Messrs. Taylor, of Loughborough: the chancel retains piscina and sedilia, and on the north side is a late Perpendicular vestry, between which and the chancel is a curious small recess in the wall: in the aisle is a large canopied recess with croeketed pinnacles and rich finials, and near a piscina and a bracket: on the north side of the church is a flat arched recess, with hood moulding and finial, inclosing an altar tomb with a recumbent figure supposed to represent the founder: the front of the tomb displays five quatrefoils inclosing shields; there are also three brasses, one of which has the effigy of a man in trunk hose, cloak and ruff, and is inscribed to Christopher Stickland, gent. 1628, a benefactor to the parish; another, of a priest richly vested, has an inscription in Latin to John Heyne, rector, 1433; the third is a kneeling effigy, with ruff, representing Thomas Barker, rector, 1617: on the south side of the chancel is a stained window to John Fernie M.A. rector, ob. 1870: the church was restored by the rector in 1892 and affords 220 sittings, 60 of which are free.

Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1653.

St. Mary

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:St. Albans