UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. Lawrence, Wymington, Bedfordshire

Description

The church of St. Lawrence is an elegant building of stone in the Late Decorated style, rebuilt about 1377 by John Curteys, whose tomb is in the church, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch with parvise and a western embattled tower with clock and crocketed spire, containing 6 bells: the spire is singular and very beautiful, rising from eight arches with open Decorated tracery and pedimental canopies, and the angles are richly crocketed: at the east end of the church are two octagonal turrets, and the whole is embattled to a height of four feet: the chancel retains very rich canopied sedilia and a piscina of similar character: the original octagonal font also remains: in the window sill of the south chapel are remains of a once magnificent altar, with a niche and piscina, and in the vestry, anciently the chapel of St. John the Evangelist, is another piscina: much of the old pavement, consisting of squares of polished Purbeck marble, still remains: the church contains some fine brasses, one of which, to Sir Thomas Bromflete, who was cup-bearer to King Henry V. is considered to be the finest brass in existence of a knight in plate armour; the head of the knight rests on a crested helm; on either side of the figure are shields of arms, and overhead a reversed inscription on brass in two columns with the date 1430: alongside, on a similar slab, is a much smaller brass of his wife Margaret (Seynt Jon) 1407, with an inscription on a brass fillet surrounding the slab, and inclosing four shields: on the floor under the chancel arch is a brass 22 inches long, to John Stokys, rector, who died about 1520, clad in eucharistic vestments, and holding the chalice in his hands: under the arch between the lady chapel and the chancel is a fine altar tomb, in good preservation, to the memory of John and Albreda Curteys, who entirely rebuilt the church: the upper slab of Purbeck marble has perfect brass effigies of both, under 3 crocketed canopy, with a shield above; surrounding the whole is an inscribed brass fillet, with the date of the founder's death, 1391, and that of his wife in 1396: there is another altar tomb in the north aisle, with inscription on brass, to William Bhitsoe, dated 1609; and there are later memorials to Richard Newcome M.A. rector (1655-1698), Richard Newcome M.A., his son, rector (1698-1732), and the families of Scriven, Clark, Kent, Chapman and Kemshead. The church was partly restored in 1910, and affords 70 sittings.

Church Records

The parish register dates from 1662.

St. Lawrence
Wymington
Bedfordshire

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:St. Albans
Sittings:100
Graveyard:Yes