UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. Peter, Stourton, Wiltshire

Description

The parish church of St. Peter is an edifice of stone in mixed styles, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, north porch and a western tower containing 6 bells, the sixth having been added in 1881: in 1878 the chancel was new roofed, fitted with oak stalls and re-floored, a new east window and reredos being erected at the same time: the Hoare monuments were also removed to the south aisle and an organ chamber and vestry built: there are many memorials of the Stourton family and several stained windows: the church affords about 250 sittings.

Church Records

The register dates from the year 1572, and there is a list of rectors from 1316.

Photographs

Monument to Henry Hoare
Monument to Henry Hoare
© UK Genealogy Archives

Monument to Henry Hoare II
Monument to Henry Hoare II
© UK Genealogy Archives

St. Peter's Church, Stourton
St. Peter's Church, Stourton
© UK Genealogy Archives

thumbnail image

St. Peter
Stourton
Wiltshire

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Salisbury
Sittings:250
Graveyard:Yes