All Saints, Sutton, Bedfordshire
The church of All Saints is a building of stone, in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave of four bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 4 bells and a clock: the north aisle or Burgoyne chapel contains some magnificent monuments of the Burgoyne family, the most important of these erected to John Burgoyne, 1604: in the church is hung a Union Jack saved from H.M.S. Captain, lost in the Bay of Biscay, 1870, Captain Hugh Burgoyne R.N., V.C. being in command: the chancel retains its piscina and sedilia, and is separated from the nave by an oak screen: the font is Early English: the east window and several others are stained, and include one in the chancel to Barbara, wife of the Rev. Charles Dethick Blyth D.D. rector 1830-84: the church was partly restored in 1905 at a cost of about £500, and affords about 250 sittings.
The parish register dates from the year 1538.