All Saints, Clifton, Bedfordshire
The church of All Saints is an edifice of sandstone in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle and an embattled western tower, with a turret at the north-east angle, and containing a clock and 15 bells, 8 of which are hung for ringing and the rest for chimes: the church was thoroughly restored and enlarged in the year 1862, and re-opened 23rd April, 1863, by the late H. Miles esq. at a cost of about £3,000: the stone reredos is divided by shafts of Devonshire marble into panels, the centre panel representing The Crucifixion, executed in relief, and those on either side containing figures of St. Peter and St. Paul: the pulpit is of carved alabaster, inlaid with marble: over the chancel arch is a Majesty, in mosaic work: the west window and others are stained: there is an alabaster tomb to Sir Michael and Lady Fysher, beneath which and immediately beside it are effigies in incised brass of John, son of Sir Michael, ob. 1528, and his wife, the former being in plate armour worn over a hauberk: some portions of what has been supposed by some to have been a rood loft, and by others a parclose screen, originally surrounding Sir Michael's tomb, with paintings of saints, are now fixed on the north and south internal walls of the tower: there is a small and curious crypt at the south-east corner of the nave: over the porch is a canopied niche with figure of the Good Shepherd.
The parish register dates from the year 1538.