UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. Mary, Charminster, Dorset


The parish church of St. Mary, built in the latter part of the 12th century, is a stone edifice, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, divided from the nave by massive Norman arches, south porch, and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing a clock and 5 bells: the tower was built by Sir Thomas Trenchard, of Wolfeton, about 1500: there are monuments with elaborate carvings, probably to members of the Trenchard family: the church was restored in 1896, when four small Norman windows were discovered in the clerestory, and the west window filled with stained glass, by Captain and Mrs Dymond, as a memorial to their son: the church affords 500 sittings.

Church Records

The parish register of baptisms, marriages and burials begins in 1561. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by and made available on their site (subscription required).

The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Charminster, 1561-1812 is online.

thumbnail image

St. Mary

Denomination:Church of England