UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

St. Mary the Virgin, Stoke Abbot, Dorset

Description

The church of St. Mary the Virgin, originally Norman, is a building of stone, consisting of an Early English chancel, nave of three bays, north aisle, south porch and a western tower containing 5 bells with chimes: the church was partly restored in 1913, when the bells were rehung, The font is of Norman date, with carvings in good preservation, and there is a small Norman window on the north side: a stained window was erected in the chancel by Mrs. Symes, of Charmouth, in memory of her husband, and there is another to William Udal esq, and Mary Anne, his wife: on December 8, 1828, the church was struck by lightning, but was restored in 1878, and now has sittings for 210 persons.

St. Mary the Virgin
Stoke Abbot
Dorset

Denomination:Church of England
Diocese:Salisbury
Sittings:210
Graveyard:Yes