The Holy Cross, Burley or Burley on the Hill, Rutland
Description
The church of the Holy Cross is a fine edifice of stone, partly in the Norman style, dating from c. 1180-90, and consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, separated from the nave by arcades of three arches on each side, north porch and an embattled western tower containing 1 bell: the reredos, a beautiful work of carved stone, is adorned with figures of Our Saviour and of the Apostles and Evangelists, in canopied niches: the east and west. windows are both stained and there are three others: the chancel retains sedilia and a credence table and has a stone screen; the font, also of stone, is ancient; near the tower now lie two recumbent effigies of a knight in armour and a lady, probably of the 14th century; in the church is a beautiful marble monument by Chantrey, with the kneeling figure of a female, to Lady Charlotte, daughter of Thomas, 1st Earl of Pomfret, and relict of the Right Hon. William Finch P.C., M.P. d. at St. James' Palace, 11 July, 1813: there is also a marble tablet with carved figures to Emily Eglantine, wife of the Right Hon. G. H. Finch P.C., M.P. d. 26 April, 1865, and also a brass erected to his memory by his second wife; he died 22 May, 1907: the church was restored in 1887, under the direction of J. L. Pearson esq. R.A., F.S.A.; there are 208 sittings.
Church Records
The parish register dates from the year 1577.
