St. Mary, Edith Weston, or Edweston, Rutland
The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of stone in the Transition and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles and spire, containing a clock and 3 bells, the largest of which is dated 1723, the others 1597 and 1621: the bells were rehung, and the belfry floor and clock chamber restored in 1924: there is a monument to members of the Halford family, erected in 1627; a memorial window to the Rev. R. Lucas, d. 1646, and a carved oak reredos, erected in 1896, to the Rev.Charles Lucas, a former rector: the organ was presented by R. Lucas esq. in 1867, and the altar cross by the clergy of the rural deanery, in memory of the Rev. Andrew Trollope B.A. rector 1885-96: the font cover was given by the parishioners in 1897, in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria: in the chancel floor are five small brasses, inscribed with initials only: a tablet was erected in 1923, inscribed with the names of the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: the church was repaired and reseated in 1848, when a large wall painting of St. Christopher was discovered; and in 1903 was further repaired, when the wall of the transept was underpinned and drains laid on the north and south sides, at a cost of £83: there are 200 sittings.
The parish register dates from the year 1585.