St. Mary, Clipsham, Rutland
The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of stone in the Early English, Norman and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles, north chapel, south porch and a western tower with broach spire, containing 3 bells: the nave is Norman, the chancel Decorated, and the aisles Early English, but one of the buttresses of the original Norman edifice remains on the west side of the tower: the north chapel retains some ancient stained glass, with the arms of the Neville family: there are also remains of an ancient chantry, dedicated to St. Nicholas, on the south side of the nave: in the church is a handsome marble monument to the Snow family, dated 1706, a brass to the Rev. Matthew Snow M.A. d. April, 1809, and other memorials to persons of the same name: the church was restored and the whole of the windows filled with stained glass in 1858, chiefly at the cost of J. N. Paget esq. and family: there are 250 sittings.
The parish register dates from the year 1726, several volumes of an earlier period being missing.