St. John the Evangelist, Ryhall, Rutland
The church of St. John the Evangelist is a building of stone in the Early English period, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, south porch and a western tower with broach spire, containing a clock and 5 bells: there is a small stained window at the west end, the gift of Mr. John Lowe and another in the south aisle, presented by Miss Gann in 1902, in memory of her parents ; in the chancel is a monument to Thomas Harrison D.D. rector of Casterton Magna and Market Overton, and sometime vicar of this parish, d. August, 1782, and memorials to Michael Pierrepont, Lieut.-Col. commandant of the Rutland Regiment of Militia, d. 24 April, 1834, and to the Rev. Martin Amphlett M.A. 26 years vicar of this parish, dated 1834; and Peggy his relict, d. April, 1834: the church was restored in 1857, and affords 250 sittings.
The parish register dates from the year 1674.