St. John the Baptist, North Luffenham, Rutland
Description
The church of St. John the Baptist is a building of stone, chiefly in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, north and south porches and a western tower with broach spire, containing 6 bells, one of which is of mediaeval date and the others are dated respectively 1630, 1618, 1701, 1742 ane 1619, but this last is cracked: the chancel, of fine proportions, retains Decorated sedilia and a piscina and two low-side windows: the font is plain but good: the pulpit is Jacobean: the east window, the tracery of which has been renewed, was filled with glass by Mr. C. E. Kempe, and one of the windows on the north side of the chancel contains some fine very old glass, circ. 1350: there are monuments to the Digby family, erected in 1582 and 1758, and to the Noel family, 1640: in the chancel at the back of the sedilia is a brass to Robert Johnson, archdeacon of Leicester, founder in 1584 of the Oakham and Uppingham Grammar schools, and formerly rector of this parish: he died in 1625: the church was restored under the direction of J. E. Street esq. R.A. and affords 200 sittings.
Church Records
The parish register dates from the year 1565.
