UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

SS. Peter and Paul, Exton, Rutland


The church of SS. Peter and Paul is an edifice of stone in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, nave with clerestory, small transepts, aisles, south porch and a western tower with lofty spire, containing 6 bells: the construction of the upper part of the tower is singular and unusual, since its battlemented parapet, with large embattled octagonal turrets at the angles, rises out of the lower stage of a broach spire, which in turn supports an octagonal embattled lantern, and from this springs the remainder of the spire, relieved by two tiers of dormers: on the north side of the chancel is a monument to Sir James Harington kt. ob. 1591, and on the south side others to Baptist, 4th Earl of Gainsborough, d. 21 March, 1750-1, Elizabeth (Chapman), his wife, and Thomas Noel esq. her second husband, d. 1790: in the north transept is a monument to Baptist, 2nd Baron Noel and 3rd Viscount Campden. ob. at Exton, 29 Oct. 1863: in the tower are memorials to Anne (Chichester), ob. 1627, first wife of Thomas, Baron Bruce of Kinloss and Earl of Elgin, and to Sir John Harington kt. of Exton, treasurer of the army of Henry VIII. at Boulogne, and Elizabeth (Moton), his wife; and one in the north aisle to Lieut.-Gen. Noel, 1766; the east window is a memorial to Charles Noel, 1st Earl of Gainsborough, of the second creation, d. 10 June, 1866; that within the tower being to the memory of the Hon. and Rev. Leland Noel M.A. hon. canon of Peterborough and vicar of Exton, d. 10 Nov. 1870; there are other stained windows: the church was restored in 1853 and the interior reseated: a new organ has been provided at a cost of £330: there are 345 sittings.

There is a Roman Catholic Church, opened in 1868, and dedicated to St. Thomas of Canterbury; it was built by Charles George, 2nd Earl of Gainsborough, and adjoins the Hall, with which there is communication.

There is also a Wesleyan chapel.

Church Records

The parish register dates from the year 1597.

SS. Peter and Paul

Denomination:Church of England