SS. Peter and Paul, Wing, Rutland
Description
The church of SS. Peter and Paul is an ancient building of stone, originally Norman, but rebuilt in 1335, and consisting of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles and an embattled western tower, restored in 1903 and containing 5 bells: there is a memorial window to the Rev. O. R. Wintle, erected by his sister and brothers, and others, placed in 1889 by members of the family of the Rev. C. Boys, rector (1839-98), and the parishioners to commemorate the 50th year of his incumbency: there is also a window to the memory of Mrs. Wintle, erected by G. Worrall eaq. and the members of her family: there is an early octangular font, and in the chancel is a brass to Capt. Charles Worsley Boys R.N. who died at sea and was buried at Nova Scotia in 1809: the chancel was entirely rebuilt and enlarged in 1875, at a cost of £700, when the ancient altar stone was replaced on a substantial wooden frame: in 1885 the church was new-roofed and a south aisle added, portions of the old church being used in the reconstruction, the gallery at the west end removed, and a north porch erected to the memory of Caroline Goodrich Boys, at a cost of about £700: a new organ was provided in 1908, at a cost of £250: there are 150 sittings.
Church Records
The parish register dates from the year 1625.
