St. John the Baptist, Broadwindsor, Dorset
The parish church of St. John the Baptist is an ancient edifice of stone in the Norman, Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays with clerestory, aisles, south porch, and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 6 bells, 5 rehung and the 6th bell added in 1897: the north aisle is Early English and the south aisle Norman: the tower is chiefly Perpendicular: the pulpit is a beautiful and curious structure of wood, of polygonal form, with a double row of panels, divided by a horizontal roll enriched with arabesque work of carved foliage, and at the angles dividing the panels are Perpendicular crocketed buttresses: this is the original pulpit used by the celebrated Thomas Fuller: the font is Norman, with top of Purbeck marble: and there is a stained window, erected in 1900 by Mrs. Stevens, of Blagdon, as a memorial to members of her family: in 1868 the church was restored and almost entirely rebuilt by the late Major Charles H. Malan, 75th Regiment, at a cost of upwards of £4,000, to whom the stained east window is a memorial: there are 320 sittings. Mr Pinney gave some ground for the enlargement of the churchyard in 1878.
The parish register of baptisms, marriages, and burials, dates from the year 1558, but there are some previous entries which are much decayed. The registers have been rebound and carefully restored, where possible, by experts at the Record Office, London. The original register books are now deposited with the Dorset Archives Service, but have been digitised by Ancestry.co.uk and made available on their site (subscription required).
The Phillimore transcript of Marriages at Broadwinsor, 1563-1812 is online.